2021 Fast Day Sixteen

Day #16

James 3:7-10 MSG “This is scary: You can tame a tiger, but you can’t tame a tongue—it’s never been done. The tongue runs wild, a wanton killer. With our tongues we bless God our Father; with the same tongues we curse the very men and women he made in his image. Curses and blessings out of the same mouth! My friends, this can’t go on. A spring doesn’t gush fresh water one day and brackish the next, does it? Apple trees don’t bear strawberries, do they? Raspberry bushes don’t bear apples, do they? You’re not going to dip into a polluted mud hole and get a cup of clear, cool water, are you?”

You can tame a TIGER but you can’t tame a tongue.  James says here “it has never been done!”  The gospel of Matthew also tells us that there is something more dangerous than taking in something bad, and that is speaking out something that is bad.  Matthew 10:15 “He then called the crowd together and said, Listen, and take this to heart. It’s not what you swallow that pollutes your life, but what you vomit up.”

When God hears you speak about your meeting as terrible, your car as crappy, your kids as ungrateful, your husband/wife as lazy, your town as small, your house as cramped…His response is: “If you say so.” Likewise, there is power in speaking out something that is good.

There is scientific evidence that proves DNA can be reprogrammed by your words.  The human DNA is a biological internet and can be reprogrammed.  Only 10% of our DNA is used for building proteins.  The other 90% are considered “JUNK DNA”.  GOD DOESN’T MAKE JUNK.  Russian scientists started studying this “junk DNA” and joined linguists and geneticists to explore this study together.  Their findings were REVOLUTIONARY – according to them our DNA is not only responsible for the construction of the body, but also serves as data storage and communication.  The linguists found the genetic code follows all the same rules as our human languages!  Human languages didn’t appear coincidentally but are a reflection of our INHERENT DNA.  LIVING DNA will ALWAYS react to language!  WHAT YOU SAY MATTERS!!!! God created you in His image but we undo his creation and make lesser versions of ourselves with our words.

Consecration: Poor Self-Talk

For some of us, we wouldn’t have anything to say to ourselves if we consecrate talking down to ourselves.  We have got to do better.  My momma told me, “if you don’t have anything good to say, don’t say it at all.”  Why do we think that applies to everyone but us.  One of my dear friends scolded me just this week in a conversation we were having together, and she stopped me and said, “you should try being kinder to yourself.”  Stopped me in my tracks.  Will you consecrate poor self-talk with me today?